Researchers at the Bariatric Surgery Unit in Pisa, Italy decided to investigate the cost effectiveness of obesity, or weight loss surgery for people with type 2 diabetes. The types of surgery considered were:
- adjustable gastric banding
- gastric bypass surgery.
Scientists wanted to see if these surgeries were cost effective for type 2 diabetics living in Italy, Spain and Austria. Usually these types of surgery are for people with a body mass index (BMI) greater than 35.
Results of this investigation were published in the Obesity Surgery Journal on September 19, 2009 and showed that after a five year follow up, that both adjustable gastric banding and gastric bypass surgery were cost effective.
However, it is important to consider more than cost effectiveness. It would be really wise to take the following into account:
- if takes up to six weeks to recover from weight loss surgery
- it will necessitate an immediate change of lifestyle
- you can only eat very small amounts of food
- the absorption of some vitamins and minerals can be seriously impaired. Then it is necessary to take high doses of Vitamin D and Vitamin B12 for the rest of your life. Are you happy to commit to taking vitamins for the rest of your life? Or having Vitamin B12 in injection form?
- it is not always a successful operation, approximately 40% have to return for more surger